These desserts are a tribute to the nation’s rich traditions and culture, especially in the kitchen.
¼ cup basmati rice
A litre of milk
1 ¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp kewra water
2 drops rose water
1 tsp saffron
1 tsp green cardamom, freshly crushed
2 tsp chandi ka varq (silver leaf)
4 tsp almonds/pistachios, slivered
- Wash the rice and soak it in water for an hour. Drain and pound the rice. Add a little milk to it to make a fine paste.
- Boil the rest of the milk with crushed green cardamom pods and add the rice paste to it. Stir continuously so that lumps do not form. When the mixture becomes thick and creamy, add sugar and cook for five minutes. Add both the essences and the cover. Take off the fire, add the saffron and stir continuously while it cools.
- Transfer to a large glass or earthenware dish or into individual glass bowls/ramekins.
- Leave to set and cool in the fridge for half an hour. Before serving, decorate with silver leaf, rose petals, and slivered nuts (almonds or pistachios). Phirni can also be prepared a day before it is required to be served. It keeps well in the fridge.
3 litres milk
5 drops khus water
12 pistachios, slivered
2-3 chandi varq (silver leaf)
- Pour the milk into a pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low flame, stirring continuously for 20-25 minutes.
- Then stir every five minutes until the milk is reduced to approximately four cups and has acquired a granular consistency.
- Remove from the fire and add the sugar, stirring continuously until completely dissolved. Then stir in the vetiver (khus) drops. Let it cool.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the pistachio slivers. Refrigerate. Before serving, decorate with silver leaf.
(Mango Cream Dessert)
6 well-ripened mangoes, puréed
¾ cup + 1 tbsp heavy cream
2 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp powdered gelatin or
1 ½ unflavored envelopes
- Add the cream and the sugar to the mango purée, and mix well.
- Prepare the gelatin by dissolving it in half a cup of boiling water, stirring continuously until it is fully dissolved. Pour into the mango mixture and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl, swirl a tablespoon of cream over the top and refrigerate for three to four hours, until the mango cream is set.
- Serve chilled.
- This can also be set and served in individual glass bowls.
Also, try interesting brunch recipes.